The EurAfrican Forum exists to explore and promote the power of diasporas as a connecting force between cities, regions and continents, between cultures, companies and people. It is an action-oriented gathering of leaders that aims to foster stronger collaboration between Europe and Africa to promote a shared green and inclusive growth for the two continents, fostering mechanisms for collaboration and creating new synergies and partnerships.
Under the theme “Partnership of Equals: Sharing Values, Sharing Prosperity”, the 2019 Forum will focus on common challenges, changing relationships, aiming to create fresh opportunities, showcasing examples of progress and inspiring transformation for a shared prosperous and sustainable common future of Europe and Africa.
In the first edition of the EurAfrican Forum, under the theme “Crafting Coalitions for Change”, prominent speakers debated a call to action for building trust between Europe and Africa and taking the opportunity to rebalance and promote the EurAfrican geographies and reinforce the diaspora networks.
Attended by more than 400 people in the first edition, the Forum provides a major opportunity for networking and exchanges between those that are crafting innovative approaches for common challenges. Notably African and European leaders from government, business and civil society, young entrepreneurs, activists, social influencers, NGOs and media, gathered to constitute the ‘EurAfrican Community Network’.
The 2019 edition will focus the debate on these main topics:
- Panel 1 – African entrepreneurs driving inclusive innovation and growth – sponsored by Omatapalo
- Panel 2 – From donor-recipient towards equal participation
- Panel 3 – Changing the narrative: valuing talent and diversity from migrant flows
- Panel 4 – Africa: the new frontier for impact investment and innovation
- Panel 5 – Legacy to growth: rehabilitating the heritage, culture and tourism – sponsored by Turismo de Portugal
Four parallel sessions will also take place outside the Grand Auditorium, after the closing remarks, on July 4, between 5:15pm to 6:00pm about:
- Session 1 – Rebuilding Mozambique
- Session 2 – Security, Migration and Talent – This session will be designed in collaboration with the Institute of Security and Strategy Foundation of Poland.
- Session 3 – Tools and strategies for woman and youth empowerment
- Session 4 – EU-AF economic integration and digital infrastructure for Africa
For this edition it is confirmed the following institutionals and keynotes:
- Filipe Nyusi, President of the Republic of Mozambique;
- Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, President of the Portuguese Republic;
- Augusto Santos Silva, Minister of the Foreign Affairs of Portugal, for the lunch welcome speech;
- António Vitorino, Director General for the International Organization for Migrations – UN Migration Agency (IOM) for a keynote about the migration dialogue between Europe and Africa;
- António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General, with a special video message;
- Chef Elijah Amoo Addo, Founder and CEO of the Food for All Africa Programme, with a pitch at lunch time;
- Siyanda Mohutsiwa, Satirical Writer, from Botswana;
- Along with other 40 African and European contributors for the panels and breakout sessions.
The EurAfrican Forum has the High Patronage of the Presidency of the Portuguese Republic and the Portuguese Government, co-hosted by the Portuguese Diaspora Council and the Municipality of Cascais. The event is sponsored by Mota-Engil, Omatapalo, European Commission, Tourism of Portugal, MDS Group, EDP and CitiGroup.
For more information about the event, please visit the official website: www.eurafricanforum.org